Nanotechnology can be described as a science-based and a demand-driven field”. The innovation and emerging micro and nanotechnologies have significantly reshaped the landscapes of manufacturing, biotechnology, environmental and pharmaceutical markets. It is expected that, by 2020, the increasing integration of nano-scale science and engineering knowledge of nano-systems would lead to mass applications of nanotechnology in industry. Nanotechnology as a fundamental design science will have applications for numerous industries: manufacturing, health care, and transportation to name a few. Although Nanotech-enabled technologies are growing rapidly, the shortage of skilled manpower is inhibiting the growth of this field in the country.
MSc. in Nanotechnology
The students who pursue this postgraduate level training & education will accrue sufficient knowledge on Nano and Advanced materials technologies which can be applied in many diverse sectors and industries. This would enable the local manufacturers to tap into the fast growing global nanotechnology markets.
The proposed postgraduate degree program will allow students to gain cutting-edge knowledge
on this growing area of science and technology from leading academics.
For the completion of the MSc. degree program, a thesis, based on a full-year research work is required to be carried out under the guidance of a faculty member, either within the department or with industrial partnership.
The majority of the MSc. research projects will be either industry-related or will be of some strategic importance to the local industry. Students are expected to showcase their learnt skills and innovativeness by solving industry related problems. This training allows students to take on authentic workplace challenges related to their future careers.
The department provides students an opportunity to conduct their research alongside with renowned faculty in the science and engineering disciplines by using state of the art equipment.
This program will pursue the learning outcomes through a variety of learning methods.
- Learning in formal environment
- Learning with peers
- Learning from practice
This postgraduate program will be delivered mainly by means of Power Point® based lectures. Videoconferencing facilities will also be used whenever possible and whenever necessary.
In addition, there will be in class discussions (to actively engage students with the subject matters), group assignments (to encourage peer learning), question & answering sessions and laboratory experiments.
Guest lectures (on recent advancements), seminars, tutorials, Industrial and field visits to help students improve their learning in a more interactive, topic specific way.
Orientation workshops at the beginning of the program to facilitate students to familiarize with the staff.
|Essentials of Materials Science||Physics and Chemistry of Sol-gels|
|Fundamentals of Nanotechnology||Dendrimers and Emulsion|
|Thermodynamic Aspects of |
|Quantum Mechanics for|
|Quantum Size Effect and their|
|Surface Effects||Low Dimensional Nano-materials|
|Advanced Materials||Introduction to Nano Electronics|
|Global trends in|
|Introduction to NEMS and MEMS|
|Credits : 49||Credits : 11|
- The Degree of Bachelor of the science of Engineering of the University of Moratuwa specializing in a relevant field; or
- Any other engineering degree or Bachelor of science degree of at least four years duration, from a recognized University, in a relevant field as may be approved by the Senate;or
- Any other engineering, science or technology degree of at least three years duration, from a recognized University, in a relevant field and a minimum of two years of recognized appropriate experience, as may be approved by the Senate; or
- Any recognized category of membership of a recognized Professional institute, obtained through an academic route, with a minimum of three years of recognized appropriate experience obtained after the membership, as may be approved by the Senate.